When a pattern tells you to "leave a long tail" at the end of a piece it means that you need to cut the working yarn long enough to close the piece and/or sew it to another piece of your amigurumi. Below I share the steps I take to ensure that my tail is long enough!
For pieces that don't need to be closed:
1. Grab your working yarn and run it along the edges of your work.
2. Mark the length you got in Step 1 and double it.
3. Cut a little bit further from the length you got in Step 2 just to be sure.
For pieces that need to be closed:
1. Bring the working yarn across the opening that it's going to be closed.
2. Bring the yarn across back to the beginning.
3. Mark the length you got in Step 2 and double it.
4. Cut a little bit further from the length you got in Step 3 just to be sure.
I always follow these steps and always have enough yarn tail to close and/or sew my amigurumi pieces. Give it a try and let me know how it goes! =D
Have a crafty weekend! =D